Thursday, March 17, 2011

Grandpa Park

On Tuesday, my Grandpa Park passed away. He had been suffering from Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease, for the past few years. It made it really hard for him to breathe. I was at work when I got a text from Chris that said, "We have to go to the hospital now, I'm on my way to get you." My wonderful supervisor Erin let me leave immediately. We arrived at St. Mark's hospital and we could all tell that he didn't have much time left with us. He was hooked up to a machine that was basically breathing for him. Luckily, he was able to speak to each of us individually. He told me that I have a good heart and that I picked a good husband. He also said, "You need to send me a great-grand kid before I go", I told him that wasn't very likely. Chris then said, "Make sure you send us good kids." Grandpa replied, "How about I send you a black baby?"...that is so Grandpa Park, always able to lighten things with a joke. One of the last things he announced to everyone was, "If you don't take care of Grandma, I'll HAUNT YOU!" The whole family was gathered there in the hospital when he passed away later that afternoon. 

It was a very sad day, but amongst all the tears, I felt completely comforted. I know that we will all see him again. I feel so lucky to have the Gospel in my life and to know of the Plan of Salvation. I understand that this is just a step in our journey to living eternally. I can't imagine how devastated I would feel if I believed that to be the last time I would see my grandpa.

Grandpa Park was such a good example to everyone around him. He was always giving to others. He had such a unique sense of humor (unless you know my dad, they are basically the same), he would say whatever was on his mind (just like my dad haha). 

Just a few favorite memories: 

I am the oldest grandchild, so when I was born, Grandpa didn't quite know what to expect with kids. In their home, they had a drawer of flour and a drawer of sugar. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I would run into the house, go straight to the drawers, and start mixing them by the scoop-full. That's when Grandpa coined my nickname "Hell On Wheels", he called me that all the way from age 2 to 22.

Just like everyone who knows him, Grandpa really liked Chris. One day, we were having a family dinner/party, Grandpa was saying the blessing and he said, "Thank thee that Chris could be here with us..." the whole extended family was there! I love that memory! Another day, my mom called Grandpa and told him that the family would be coming to visit, all he said was, "Is Chris going to be there?!"  

I am really going to miss Grandpa Park, he was a great man. I look forward to the day we meet again.

CRAIG PARK

Craig Richard Park, beloved husband, father, grandfather and friend, passed away March 15, 2011 surrounded by his family due to complications from pulmonary fibrosis. Craig was born August 20, 1940 to John Sidrick Park and Stannie Amelia Burt Park and was the youngest of seven children. He was raised in Bennion and attended Granite High School. He served a two and a half year mission in Paris, France from 1960-1963. He married his eternal sweetheart, Barbara Rae Bailey, in the Salt Lake Temple September 6, 1963. They were blessed with five sons and one daughter and 21 grandchildren. He loved time spent with his grandchildren; each one knew they were his favorite. He was a gifted cabinet maker and passed that skill onto each one of his sons and son-in-law. He was also an accomplished pianist and trumpet player. Craig was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served faithfully in many callings throughout his life including a recent mission with Barbara to the Congo and South Africa where they developed many close relationships. Preceded in death by his parents and five brothers. Survived by his wife Barbara, sister Beth Smith (Joseph), children Spencer (Robyn), Bryan (Terri), C.J. (Lisa), Russell (Amber), Michelle Nelson (Jared), Jason (Joslyn), and 21 grand-children. Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 19th at 12:30 p.m. at the Bluffdale 5th Ward Chapel, 15040 South 2040 West. A viewing will be held Friday, March 18th from 6-8 p.m. at Jenkins-Soffe South Valley, 1007 W. South Jordan Pkwy (10600 S.) and on Saturday from 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. prior to services at the church. Interment at Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 East 10600 South.

10 comments:

  1. Well what a wonderful treat that he was still on this Earth for your marriage. He seems like a neat guy. James' grandpa died a couple of days after ours. We were so blessed to have him there and have wonderful pictures taken of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami & Chris, I'm so sorry for your loss. I totally know how you feel! I'm going to lose mine any day, This post was so sweet. Totally helped me. You are amazing. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cami we are so sorry for your loss of your grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cami, i am so sorry your sweet grandpa passed away, but i am so glad you got to spend time with him and talk to him before he went! i imagine the reunion in heaven was great for him! i hope you and your parents and doing well! we will be thinking of you all! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said Cami Bear! Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Cami. No one can quite fill a place in your life like a grandpa can. That is such a blessing that he was able to be at your wedding. And from what I can see in the pictures, he looked great! And what a blessing to know that you will see him again!
    Hope everything else is going well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your loss! Sounds like he was an amazing man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cami,

    I think we must be second cousins! I was just googling the name of John Sidrick Park (our great-grandfather, I believe), and found your blog! My grandpa, was Melvin Budd (who was one of your grandpa's older brothers). It is so fun to read your blog and feel a connection with you! My dad was the oldest in his family (Randy) and I am the oldest of five in mine. I grew up in Taylorsville/Bennion area, have six kids of my own and now live near the Oquirrh Mountain Temple! It is fun to say "hello!" You and Chris are a cute couple! It would be fun to hear from you!

    Angela (Park) Mangum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I just saw this comment for the 1st time! Wow, what a small world! We live about 2 mins from the temple too, so we are close!! Thanks for writing me, it was a fun surprise!

      Delete