Monday, May 16, 2011

Just a thought

I must vent via blog...just for a minute.

I just need to announce to the world how much I dislike improper English. In school, they pound rules into your head, but some of them are WRONG.

Example:
It's not "me and ___", it's "___ and I" 
Okay, true in most cases. But not all cases.

Can Chris and I watch the movie with you? 
CORRECT

Come watch the movie with Chris and I. 
INCORRECT

The correct way to say that would be:
Come watch the movie with Chris and me.
 
But Cami, how can you tell? 
Take the other person's name (in this case, it's Chris) out of the sentence. However you'd say it without that other name, is how you decide whether it's "me" or "I"

Come watch the movie with me. 
OR
Come watch the movie with I.
You decide which one sounds better...

Phew...thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Today I started my triathlon training! I began with a lovely 13.1 mile bike ride in 44 minutes, I'm pretty happy about it. A 3 mile run tomorrow and .5 mile swim on Wednesday are what I have to look forward to next.


3 comments:

  1. Seriously...you don't know how many times I have had this argument with multiple people! It drives me CRAZY!!! I'm glad at least one other person in this world feels the way I do! English sucks...its the worst language ever haha! :)

    Good luck with your triathlon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome you started training. I can't believe how impressive that is! Also, I laughed so hard through the beginning of your post. Why? Because my Portuguese speakin' husband has to correct me on that all the time! It's funny because I know the rule but when I'm talking I must get lazy and throw them all out the window. But Jonathan's just like you, he DEFINITELY wants to hear the English language used correctly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah I remember learning this in school probably Mrs. Peterson's class...cuz I was thinking the same thing (take the other persons name out) before I read that part. haha

    ReplyDelete