Sunday, June 12, 2011

The day that changed our LIFE

June 11, 2011 could have possibly been one of the greatest days in all of history. 

Woke up to the sound of birds, not the alarm. 
Sweet Christopher made us waffles for breakfast.
I cleaned the house, Chris mowed the lawn.
We went to Target and bought True Grit.
Went on a great 6 mile hike with John and Maree. 
Drove around and looked at houses.
Had a BBQ with Matt and Candi's house.
Went to Best Buy to check out our future iPhones!
Got custard from Bombdigities.
Watched True Grit.

BUT HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE DAY!

Chris had turned his phone off while we went on our hike because we didn't have service. We got back to the car and he had 2 voicemails. 

Voicemail number 1 was from the apartment in Houston that we had attempted to sign a lease for online. They were letting us know that the website had been having some technical difficulties, so our request didn't go through, we would have to fill everything out again.

Voicemail number 2 was from the Dean of Admissions at the University of Utah. The message was quite hard to understand because Chris's phone is struggling (hence the iPhone excursion), we heard something about extending an offer of admission, his personal cell phone number to call, and asked that he call back as soon as possible. We were FREAKING OUT, so Chris calls back immediately, leaves a message. We were really trying to not get our hopes up. Then, at about 7 pm last night, we were at Matt and Candi's, Chris's phone rings, it was HIM. He ran to a bedroom while we all sat and waited in silence. A minute later Chris came out and says, "I'M IN! I ACCEPTED HIS OFFER!" 

I always told everyone that if Chris got into the U or BYU I would cry. But I didn't. I was just in shock. It took quite a while for it to actually sink in. For a while (ok, more like 10 minutes) Chris seemed really torn, like he wasn't totally sure what we were supposed to do. Then it started feeling more and more RIGHT. OHH can I just TELL YOU how relieved I am. I was having a very good attitude about Texas, but I knew it would add so much stress on me. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Let me put this into perspective for all you lovely folks...

In the first year alone
we will save
$20,000 on tuition
TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, PEOPLE!

We will save over $60,000 on tuition and rent over the 3 years
SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, FOLKS!

I have a job
We have a place to live
I know people
Chris has SO many connections for internships/jobs/etc.
FAMILY
Friends
Weddings
Ty's farewell
This list goes on
and 
on
and
on

So many things seemed to just FALL into place. I am SO grateful. I really feel like this is a miracle. That 1 phone call changed our .whole.entire.life. literally! For the most part, the state in which you attend law school is where you have to practice because you learn the laws of that particular state. We would have spent (probably) the rest of our lives in Texas. I believe everything that has happened has truly happened for a reason. Just a week or so ago, we were laying in bed kicking ourselves for turning down the $21,000 scholarship in Oregon, but now, it's basically like we received that just by how much money we will be saving. AH!

WE ARE STAYING HERE!





2 comments:

  1. Yes so instead of YOU crying, your mom and Bff did it for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited for your Cami! I know Bethanie was quite pleased! :)

    ReplyDelete